Tuesday 19 November 2013

#YOLO Safely

As I mentioned in a previous post in roughly 60 days I will officially become an island girl and have the opportunity to study at The University of The West Indies (@ the Mona Campus)!!!!!!!! 

Besides the sun, beaches and boys, I'm excited to study at Mona because I will get to learn about Jamaica's amazing culture. I'm a bit embarrassed to admit this, but also because I'm Jamaican and know next to nothing about my own heritage. I'm hoping that being at Mona will allow me to discover some hidden treasures as I learn about the rich culture of my motherland.

So I thought that, since I will be living in Jamaica for awhile I should research some travel safety tips. 

Image Courtesy of GPI
And I found that despite the misconceptions that many people have about the island, its actually a safe place. Based on the Global Peace Index (GPI) Jamaica ranked 117. Next to places like America, China or Mexico, who ranked 99, 101 and 133 respectively.  

Like any other destination, Jamaica has its share of risks such as petty theft, pickpocketing, purse snatching and so forth, which is no different from some of the more favourable destinations. 


 Although Jamaica is not the violent, crime ridden country that it is often portrayed to be, it is still important to understand possible health and safety problems.

Some general safety tips for travellers like myself would be: try to drink bottled water over tap water because your immune system is not use to the local water. Granted it's still safe to drink the local water. Also do not carry large sums of money around or flaunt expensive jewelry, do not go off with strangers, and do not wonder around alone at night. 
If you apply the principles of common sense and remain vigilant then you will be safe while in Jamaica. Plus you will have an amazing time and tons of fun because the locals are extremely friendly. 


Fun Fact:

Over 2.5 million tourists visit Jamaica each year, which is roughly the size of the island’s actual population. 

No comments:

Post a Comment